Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Two Days that Felt Like Two Years (Part II)

Jay and I were a little lost on Friday morning. We have our morning routine down to an exact science, but with no water we weren't sure what we were supposed to do. Needless to say, it didn't take us long to get ready for the day. I brushed my teeth at the hose, put on some clothes, and pulled my hair away from my face. Jay packed up his clothes and travel kit and headed off to school to shower in the gym (and try to come up with a lecture for his 9:00 a.m. class since he'd been crawling around under the house until 1:00 a.m.).

In the midst of all of this I realized that I did have a lot to be grateful for:
  1. I was sure glad we bought the home warranty. Even though it turns out they don't cover the service we required, it was reassuring to know that someone was going to be on the case first thing in the morning and I wasn't going to be stuck calling plumbers.
  2. I was relieved that I had done every smidgen of laundry in the house earlier in the week so that there was one less thing to worry about.
  3. Another thing to be grateful for? Six acres of bathroom property.
  4. It would take two hands to count the number of friends/neighbors I could've called to watch my kid and let me borrow a shower. I wasn't grody, but showering is a mental health issue for me. I need to shower first thing in the morning in order to feel human. Otherwise I function at about half capacity. I survived without the shower, but it was touch and go for awhile.
  5. It took me until well after noon to tell Joshua I was going to have to throw him out the window. With all that stress (and no shower) I was a little surprised I lasted that long.
  6. Once our water was working again, my responsibilities were over. Our Friday evening event was student-planned and student-executed, so when they arrived they were in charge. All I had to do was make sure my house was somewhat presentable.
Our home warranty company called by 8:00 and we were promised a plumber by noon. He actually showed up at ten! There were a few hitches. First, he didn't seem to be aware that we were on a well and septic despite the fact that our warranty company is supposed to have all the information on our home. Second, he wasn't prepared for the fact that we didn't have a "clean out" on our septic tank, meaning that there was virtually nothing he could do to help us from the get-go. Third, I practically had to go meet him downtown and lead him out to the house because he was pretty clueless on the whole "reading a map" thing.

But, once he determined that we needed our septic tank pumped, he called a local company, explained the situation in detail, and got us a 1:00 p.m. pumping appointment. I added my own plea to the septic guy, put on my best Southern accent, and begged him to come as soon as possible since I was having a houseful of guests who would start arriving at 3:30!

Oh yes.


TLS said...

Did you at least get to shower before your next crew of company came? I hope so. I know exactly what you mean about needing to shower to be human.

Also, what is this whole camping out in your backyard?? Are there no hotels/motels in Jackson?

Jennifer said...

Girl! That is some story. I'm so glad everything turned out well, despite all the trouble. And I know what you mean about the "reading a map" thing. With all the furniture and appliance deliveries, repairmen, etc. I've had in the past month, I am amazed at people's inability to follow directions.

Mercedes said...

Septic systems are amazing things, but, can be such a big pain in the butt! When we had our house in SC inspected, I requested, and paid for, a special septic system inspection that revealed that it was close to needing to be pumped. So, we had the previous owners pump it out -- I grew up with a septic system and had had too many times had what you guys experienced happen (and, really, do you even need to experience that more than once?), so I was super paranoid about it when we bought a house on a septic system.

I forgot about you and your morning showers. You are too funny!

Mary Beth said...

Ah, stay on the edge of your seats! There is yet another installment!

TLS--No, ma'am, I did not. You know how Pigpen is depicted with the dust and dirt hanging around him? That was me, except it was perfume, body spray and deoderant.

This was the department's end-of-the-year shindig. The Engineering Activities Council usually plans movies at someone's house, but this year's president wanted to have a campout, but with the comforts of home closeby. It was a pretty cute idea. I should stop before I give too much away!

Mercedes--That wouldn't have been a bad idea on our part.

Kirk said...

Heh, the septic tank was my first thought when I read "part I" as well. My home church in Indiana was on a septic tank system for years before the sewer line came out there and there'd be some Sundays when the bathrooms were "out of order." Of course with all the people using the building, there'd be a percentage that "just had to" and so the bathrooms would smell horrible.

A few times they'd back up the drain pipes in the basement where the nursery school classrooms were. Mom was (and still is some 35 years later) one of the teachers and so we'd have a family outing to bleach things down and throw stuff out after they'd come and done the draining.


Jenny said...

We're all on the edges of our figurative and literal seats here, girl.
And on the note of septic tanks and such, my parents have the same little notes around the Kentucky Chikken Wranch about tampons and the like, and they always make me think of the signs on the walls of the bathrooms at church camp:
"Kotex, Tampax and things like these
Don't go down the toilet please
They [something something] and clog the grill
In the sewage plant down over the hill."
(After this many years, I've forgotten part of the third line...)