Saturday, February 18, 2012

Blogging from Vandy, Day 1 (Part 2)

I should have mentioned that my kids called this morning to wish us a happy Valentine’s Day. That was awesome. What was even more awesome was that it was 7:00 and everyone was ready for school. We’re going to ask if Jay’s dad would like a job as a nanny. He’s doing better by himself than we do with two of us.

The next appointment was with the dietitian. Did you know that’s spelled with a t and not a c? I didn’t. She noticed, but I don’t think she judged. At least I hope she didn’t.

Anyway, the best news that she gave us was that we’re doing just about everything right. The best news for Jay was that his peripheral edema is not caused by anything he’s doing wrong. For the past month he’s been maddeningly intentional about keeping his daily sodium intake under 500mg, but it hasn’t had any effect on his swollen feet and ankles. She assured him that such was life with liver disease and that he could stop working so hard at reducing sodium. That made Jay feel better, even if she did add the caveat that “it’s only going to get worse.” Sometimes that’s a good thing to hear, actually, because it gives permission just to let it happen instead of trying so hard to control it. She also said that decreased muscle mass is normal as well, which was also a bit of a relief. Jay can stop worrying about it and just look forward to regaining it later.

Pulmonary function test was next. It was pretty simple and fun to watch. I’ve posted the video on Facebook if you want to see it. She said he did well. I wouldn’t know, but I believe her. She was nice.

After that we hit SatCo for lunch and then went to see my mom at her office.

Our fourth appointment was a CT Triple Phase to see if Jay has any tumors on his liver. We hope the answer is no, because liver tumors would be a game-changer. Fortunately, Jay didn’t hear any horrified gasps from the tech, so we’re considering that promising.

Actually the fourth appointment was scheduled to be the CT scan, but we had to ditch it after waiting an hour so that we could see the psychiatric nurse. She judged Jay to be “squeaky clean” (as in, she doesn’t need to worry about hooking him up with drug and alcohol counseling), asked some questions about coping skills, and sent us on our merry way.

We went back to Radiology for the CT scan and it was completed almost right away, which was nice since Jay had been outfitted with an IV on our first trip and sported it during the psychiatry appointment. We were out of there by 5:30. We were so wiped we barely remembered dropping off the 24-hour “jug o’ urine” at 8:30 this morning.

Dinner was steaks, baked potatoes and asparagus with my first (my dad) and current (Jay) Valentines and we’re not far from bed.

Tomorrow is heart day. Thallium stress test, EKG, echocardiogram, and social worker. We’ll be topping off this day with dinner at the Sunset Grill. And then we’ll be halfway finished.


Anonymous said...

Is live donation an option?

Mary Beth said...

Not really. I think the stickler is that live donors can only be family members, and no one really wants to put two family members at risk at the same time.