Thursday, July 27, 2006

Made Our Move

Here's a question for you.

What's more stressful than moving across the country with an 8-month-old?

Give up?

Moving across the country with an 8-month-old and waking up at 2:00 a.m. on move-in day wih the stomach flu. Both ends, baby.

My mom, God love her, had come on Tuesday morning to help me clean the house. We started at 9:00 a.m. and worked until 10:00 p.m. All was quite well until I woke up knowing that I was in trouble. Somehow I made it until 5:30 a.m. alternating visitingthe restroom with nursing Joshua, whose sleep patterns have taken a turn for the worse during the last week. At 5:30 I called my mom, who was staying in the same hotel, different room.

"Hello," she whispered. Although she claimed that she might be up that early, it was obvious that she wasn't.

"I've been vomiting since 2:30."

"What do I need to do?" Not in the tone that really means "What do you want me to do about it," but a sincere inquiry into what I needed her to do.

"Well, you could come to our room whenever you happen to get up and get ready."

She was there in ten minutes. She watched Joshua while Jay showered, and then helped me shower and pack. At 6:00 a.m. I made the executive decision that I would not puke any more, and I made it. Joshua, who had been up since 5:00, was already exhausted and ready for a nap, so while Jay went to the house to wait for the movers, mom loaded Joshua and I into the car and drove us halfway to Memphis and back so that we could sleep.

The rest of the day is a blur. The movers didn't show up until 11:00 a.m. and when they arrived said that they'd have to rent a U-Haul to shuttle stuff up the driveway since their truck wouldn't make it. But they had it all unloaded by 3:30. Somewhere in there mom got Joshua to take a nap by strolling him around the yard and helping him identify the various trees on the property. Jay got the bug, too, and he and I alternated lying down on the bedroom floor (because our bed was just about the last thing to come off the truck), hanging with Joshua, and directing the movers.

When all was unloaded, mom and Jay assembled our bed and Joshua's crib. She left at 5:30 and we all went to bed shortly after. I after a stint in my fabulous whirlpool, which made a world of difference.

We're here.


Jennifer said...

Thank God for moms! I'm so sorry you were sick during the awful.

Jenny said...

Now THAT is a horrible move. I hope you're all feeling better and that Saint Mom doesn't get it too.

TLS said...

Yikes! That sounds awful!! I hope you take some time to rest and not try to unpack everything all at once. Pace yourselves...that's a lesson we learned after we almost killed ourselves for a four room apartment!!

martha said...

It's the wallpaper! Get it down quick!

Mary Beth said...

Yeah, that's the last time I make fun of someone else's wallpaper!